Friday, December 16, 2005

Hey...It's dark back here.

Why remain anonymous? Well, let me explain.

As my dear, diligent agent keeps reminding me, my writing pays the bills. It puts food on our fine china. Cable on the plasma screen, etc. You get the picture.

If you piss off your publisher, there's always the possibility they'll feel you're more trouble than you're worth. This is exceptionally true if you're accusing them of being.....Oh, let's say......passive-aggressive racists who care more about their short-term bottom line than they do about racial equality, liberty and justice for all.

So there you have it. I remain on the wrong side of racial justice. I must continue to bite my alligator until I'm lucky enough to out-sell....Oh, I don't know, the likes of debut extraordinaire Sue Monk Kidd maybe?

Perhaps then I'd be worthy of commanding the royal "white author" treatment. Perhaps then I'd be treated as if I were on the other side of the alligator. Perhaps then, I'll be able to make editors and publishers accountable for their blatant suppression of black authors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home